Bucks County Covered Bridge Tour Directions
Start: Memorial Building - Washington Crossing State Park.
Go north on Rt. 32 4.4 miles to Lurgan Rd - Turn Left 1.5 miles to Van Sant Rd - Turn right - .6 miles to -
Van Sant Bridge
Built in 1875, this bridge is 86 feet long and belongs to the county. It is near Bowman's Hill and was often called Beaver Dam Bridge. It was one of two built across Pidcock Creek. The second, removed in 1937, was the Neely Mill Bridge. It was 108 feet long and stood on River Road near the Thompson-Neely home.
Continue 1 mile to Aquetong Road - turn left - go 5 miles to Upper York Road - turn right - then left immediately - go 2.8 miles to Carversville - turn left in center of village - go 1 block - turn right on Carversville / Wismer Rd / Pipersville Rd - go 4.6 miles to -
Loux Bridge (The)
Owned by the state, this bridge was built in 1874 and is 60 feet long, the second shortest in the county. It was built of hemlock which was once plentiful in the area. An old concrete marker on bridge indicates that it is the Cabin Run Bridge. Records, however, indicate that it is the Loux Bridge.
Continue 5 miles to dead end - turn right on Dark Hollow Road - go 1 mile to Covered Bridge Road -turn right - go .6 miles, to -
Cabin Run Bridge
Crossing Cabin Run Creek in Plumstead Township. It was built in 1871 by David Sutton and is now owned by the county. It is 82 feet long.
Return to Dark Hollow Road - go straight ahead 3.2 miles - turn left on Cafferty Road - go .8 miles to
Built in 1872, it is 130 feet long and is owned by the county. It crosses Tinicum Creek, two miles upstream from the point at which the creek empties into the Delaware River.
Go 2 miles to Hollow Horn Road - turn right - onto go 1.3 miles to Headquarters Road - turn right - go .9 miles to Geigel Hill Road - turn left - go .2 miles to
This is the shortest covered bridge in the county being only 56 feet long. It was built in 1832 and is a good example of lattice-type construction. It crosses Lodi Creek and is owned by the state.
Scenic Route - Continue through bridge and @ 1/4 mile to first right (Upper Tinicum Church Rd) for @ 1 3/4 miles to Uhlerstown Rd @ 1/2 down hill to bridge
Return to Geigel Hill Road .4 miles - turn left on River Rd (Rt 32) - go 1.7 miles - turn left on Uhlerstown Road - go .3 miles to
Built in oak in 1832, it is the only Bucks County covered bridge which crosses the Delaware Division of the historic Pennsylvania Canal which runs parallel to the Delaware River. It is owned by the county.
Ulherstown was once known as Mexico. It was later named for Michael Uhler who owned a canal boat building yard and operated a string of canal boats.
Return to River Rd - turn left - go 8.0 miles to Rt 611 - go North 1.8 miles - turn left onto Rt 212 7.5 miles - turn left onto Slifer Valley Rd - go 1.3 miles to
Located in Slifers Valley and sometimes called Slifer's Bridge. It was built of hemlock and is on the route of the Walking Purchase.
Return to Rt. 212 - turn left - go through Pleasant Valley 1.1 miles bear left on old Bethlehem Road - go 5.6 miles to Mountain View Rd - turn right - go 1.4 miles to Sterner Mill Road, turn right and right again immediately - go 1 mile to Covered Bridge Road - turn right - go 1/2 mile to
Sheard's Mill Bridge
Sheard's Mill Bridge crosses Tohickon Creek at the mill near Thatcher and is frequently called Thatcher's Bridge. It is 130 feet long and was built in 1873. It is state owned.
Return to Mountain View Road - turn right - go .9 miles to 313 - turn left - go 1.7 miles - turn right at Texaco Station - go 1.8 miles on 5th street to Blooming Glen Road - turn left to
Mood's Bridge crosses the northeast branch of the Perkiomen Creek in East Rockhill Township. It is 120 feet long. It was built in 1874, then rebuilt in 1962 and is owned by the state.
Return to 5th Street - turn left - go 1.4 miles to Walnut St. - turn left - go 2 blocks to Lenape Park to
South Perkasie Bridge
This is the only bridge in the county which does not cross water. It once spanned Pleasant Spring Creek, but some years ago it was condemned by the County. The Perkasie Historical Society led a community project which eventually saw the bridge moved to the safety of Lenape Park in Perkasie. It was dedicated as feature of the park on August 15, 1959 and Congressman Willard S. Curtin was the principle speaker.
The bridge is 93 feet long and was built in 1832 of oak and pine. A famous sign on the end of the bridge reads "$5.00 fine for any person riding or driving over this bridge faster than a walk or smoking a segar on"
Return to 5th street - turn right - go 3.2 miles to Rt 313 - turn right and go 6.9 miles - turn right on Ferry Road at Fountainville traffic light - go 3.2 miles on Ferry Road - turn left on Old Iron Hill Road - .6 miles to
Pine Valley Bridge
Built in 1842 of white pine and hemlock found in the vicinity. It crosses the Pine Run Creek and is owned by Bucks County. It cost $5,533.50 to build and was repaired in 1917. It is 61 feet long and is sometimes called the Iron Hill Bridge.
Continue through the bridge 5 miles to Rt 202 at stop sign - turn left - continue on Rt 202 6.8 miles to Rt 413 - turn right - go 5.2 miles - bear right on Rt 232 South - go 1.9 miles - turn left on Swamp Road - go 1.9 miles to Covered Bridge Park (Part of Tyler State Park) take walking path to
Schofield Ford Bridge
Schofield Ford Bridge crosses the Neshaminy Creek within the boundaries of Tyler State Park. Being 150 feet long, it is built of hemlock and is our longest covered bridge.
The bridge you will find today is a replica of the one that burned in the mid 90's. The embers were barely cool when the town's people started to raise funds to rebuild the bridge. The work crew worked seven days a week until it was completed. Using power drills, they bored 5,400 holes for wooden pegs to secure the huge timbers.