Washington Crossing Inn
The Washington Crossing Inn adjoins the spot where General George Washington and his troops assembled before the historic crossing of the Delaware River on Christmas night in 1776. At this time, the McConkey family operated the ferry crossing and ran the Ferry Inn, which had been built at the intersection of present day River Road and Route 532 in the late 1750s. The McConkeys were instrumental in helping the Continental Army with its daring strategy. It is most likely that General George Washington dined at the Ferry Inn before the crossing, and the Hessian officers captured during the battle were imprisoned there after Washington’s remarkable victory. In 1777, the McConkey Family sold the Ferry Inn property to the Benjamin Taylor III. It included 304 acres, all of what is known today as Washington Crossing. His son, Bernard, managed the ferry service, and established a fishery, while it is thought that another son, Mahlon, ran the Ferry Inn.
In 1817, Bernard Taylor built the oldest part of the present day Washington Crossing Inn. The two story stone homestead consisted of a dining room and kitchen on the first floor and two bedrooms on the second. The kitchen’s large open hearth still exists today and serves as the focal point of the Inn’s dining room. Taylor is thought to have constructed the remaining original section in 1840. The first covered bridge was built in 1834, connecting what is called Taylorsville to the village of Titusville in New Jersey, and therefore eliminating the need for a ferry. The Taylor home and farm remained in the Taylor family for 100 years.
In 1919, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania created a park along the Delaware River to commemorate the famous crossing by General George Washington and his troops in 1776. At this time, the name of the picturesque village was changed from Taylorsville to Washington Crossing. In the 1930s, the Haven family, who had been operating the Old Ferry Inn in the village, purchased the Bernard Taylor Family home. They renovated the home and constructed the colonial style addition that is now the present day lobby and George Washington Ballroom. The original 1817 home was preserved as the Inn’s public dining spaces and is now known as the Hearth Room. In 2009, brothers, Eli Mordechai and Jerry Moradi purchased the Inn to continue the tradition of the preserving the landmark of Bucks County hospitality.